Studies abroad

The same regulations pertaining to studies abroad apply to all students regardless of whether they go to study abroad on their own initiative or as part of a partnership programme.

Regulations applying to all students considered to be studying abroad (regardless of their year of enrolment):

  • Students going to study in a foreign country for three months or more are obliged to complete at least 15 ECTS worth of subjects per semester during their studies and apply for their acknowledgement as part of completing the study load of their curriculum at the academy.
  • Prior to going to study abroad students draw up a study plan and conclude a learning agreement before the start of their studies in the foreign country.
  • Upon finishing their studies abroad, students must submit a transcript of records received from the host institution of higher education to the Registry and Student Affairs Department. Students have an obligation to request the host institution of higher education to issue their transcript of records as soon as possible after the completion of examinations/assessments, so that their study results could be promptly submitted to the Registry and Student Affairs Department.
  • The standard period of study shall be extended by one semester, when a student studying at a higher educational institution of a foreign state and completed courses that amount to at least 15 ECTS. The extension of the student’s standard period of study takes effect once the transcript of records has been transferred to the Study Information System.
  • To extend their standard period of study, students are not required to submit an application, but they must make sure that their transcript of records becomes available as soon as possible. Students have a maximum of 4 weeks after the final date of their studies abroad to submit their transcript of records or internship results. If during this period information regarding the results cannot be obtained from the host institution of higher education or internship organisation, a student must contact the Department of International Relations and/or the Registry and Student Affairs Department to clarify the situation.
  • If the volume of studies completed in a host institution of higher education is less than 15 ECTS, completion of the curriculum is calculated based on the requirements of full-time study (i.e. 30 ECTS per semester). The permitted credit point deficit is a total of 6 ECTS for all previous semesters.
  • Students whose study results arrive at the Registry and Student Affairs Department by the penultimate working day of February (for autumn semester) and September (for spring semester) at the latest, may apply for a needs-based study allowance.
  • Studies abroad are not allowed during the additional year or extended study period.
  • Students who transferred subjects worth at least 15 ECTS to their curriculum, are not required to make up a study deficit when calculating tuition fees for semesters spent abroad, and are also not required to pay for a credit point deficit.
  • In the case of two semesters spent abroad, not including the study deficit in the calculation of tuition fees only applies to the first semester after the studies abroad (not two consecutive semesters, as one might expect based on the duration of studies abroad).
  • If subjects completed abroad are not a sufficient equivalent of 15 ECTS, it may be necessary to complete more subjects during the semester following the studies abroad to avoid tuition fees on the following semesters.
  • Full-time students enrolled in curricula in Estonian and students studying with targeted scholarships in curricula in English shall not pay a tuition fee for the period spent studying abroad.
  • Fee-paying students and part-time students shall pay a contractually binding tuition fee for the time spent studying abroad.

What happens if these obligations are not complied with?

  • If the EAMT has granted a mediated scholarship to support studies in a foreign state, but a student fails to comply with his or her contractual obligations, he or she is generally obliged to pay back the scholarship. Please read the regulations of the specific exchange programme.

For information on programmes and financing, please contact the Department of International Relations.

For information on the acknowledgement of studies in a higher educational institution of a foreign state, please contact the Registry and Student Affairs Department.