Useful information

Visa and residence permit

All students who are not Estonian citizens or EU citizens (including EEA countries and Switzerland) need a temporary residence permit for study. EU citizens should obtain a temporary right of residence in Estonia.

Please note that Estonia does not issue a “study visa”,  all NON-EU students should apply for temporary residence permit for studying (TRP). When certain conditions are met, then it is possible to apply for C- (short term) or D-visa (long term) to travel to Estonia and apply for residence permit after arrival.

The visa and residence permit application process will usually begin after student has been accepted to study on chosen programme and after university has forwarded required acceptance documents.

Please find more information concerning residence permits here.



International students studying in Estonia are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Tervisekassa) unless they are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence or a long-term residence permit. Thus, you need to ensure that you have some other health insurance for your period of study in Estonia.

If you are an EU citizen and have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, then you should apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia.

Necessary health care is not always free of charge – the patient’s co-payment should be paid according to Estonian tariffs. Therefore, it is recommended to also buy travel insurance from a private insurance company.

Non EU citizens: There are strict requirements in Estonia for health insurance cover when applying for a residence permit and having the required health insurance cover is necessary for applying for a temporary residence permit for studying.

A student who has been granted residence permit for study is not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund. Students can come to Estonia with travel insurance but are then required to obtain proper health insurance in Estonia. You have to have an insurance contract guaranteeing that any costs related to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during your stay in Estonia will be met. Read more about the healthcare in Estonia.

More information about medical care can be found here.



Estonian government and universities have initiated various scholarship schemes in order to support international students who are interested in studying in Estonia. Please find more information here


Accommodation in Tallinn

There are several options for finding accommodation for your study period at the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre.

Rent a place in the dormitory of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre:

Muusa Majutus
Address: Kuhlbarsi 1, Tallinn
It is only 20 minutes walk to the Academy

Please visit the webpage of Muusa Majutus for more information about the types of rooms, prices and registration.
NB! The number of places in the dormitory is limited. In order to guarantee a place at the start of your studies, please make the reservation as soon as you have been officially accepted to study at the EAMT.
Please note that the dormitory provides no towels, bed-linen, kitchen utensils or cleaning equipment.
Check-in is possible only from Monday to Friday from 1pm to 5pm.

Rent a private room or flat consulting public web-pages with housing opportunities:

Renting a flat for one semester may be complicated but not impossible

When searching for a flat on the sites please select
County: Harjumaa
City: Tallinn
City districts nearest to the Academy are
Kesklinn: City Centre
Vanalinn: Old Town

Economically it is best to rent a shared flat together with other students. Prices can vary widely depending on the location, type and facilities offered. Be prepared to pay a deposit when signing a rental deal.
Please remember that EAMT assumes no legal or financial responsibility.